Friday, January 26, 2007

Who Will Take the Son?

Recently, someone e-mailed a story to me that I recognized to be one of the many that my father told to me as I was growing up (though it has been years since I last heard it). It is said to be a true story; however, even if it isn't, it's a very good picture of God's gift to us. And so I would like to share it with you.

A wealthy man and his son loved to collect rare works of art. They had everything in their collection from Picasso to Raphael. They would often sit together and admire the great works of art.

When the Vietnam conflict broke out, the son went to war. He was very courageous and died in battle while rescuing another soldier. The father was notified and grieved deeply for his only son. A few months later, a knock came on the door. A young man stood there with a package in his hand.

He said, "Sir, you don't know me, but I am the soldier for whom your son gave his life. He saved many lives that day, and he was carrying me to safety when a bullet struck him in the heart and he died instantly. He often talked about you, and your love for art." The young man held out this package. "I know this isn't much. I'm not much of an artist, but I painted this portrait of your son, and I would like to present it to you."

The father gingerly opened the package. He stared in awe at the way the soldier had captured the personality of his son in the painting. The father was so drawn to the eyes that his own eyes welled up with tears. He thanked the young man and offered to pay him for the picture. "Oh no, sir, I could never repay what your son did for me. It's a gift."

The father hung the picture above his mantle. Every time a guest would come, before he would show him all the famous works of art, he would always take him to the fireplace and show him the picture of his son.

Later when the father died, there was a great auction of all these paintings. Many wealthy people assembled to look at these priceless works. The first painting presented by the auctioneer was the picture of the son. The auctioneer said, "We are going to begin the auction today by selling the picture of the son. Who will take the son? Do I hear a bid? $100? $200?"

There was silence.

Then a voice in the back of the room shouted, "We are not interested in that painting. We want to see the great masters!"

The auctioneer responded, "Well, this is the one that we have to sell first. Who will give me $100?"

Another voice angrily. "We didn't come to see this painting. We came to see the Van Goghs, the Rembrandts. Get on with the real bids!"

But the auctioneer persisted. "Will somebody bid for this painting? Who will start the bidding? $100, $200?"

By now people were beginning to fidget a little bit and become agitated. They cried, "Come on, let’s get on with it!"

The auctioneer said, "No, we must sell this painting first. The son! The son! Who will take the son?"

Finally, a voice came from the very back of the room. It was the longtime gardener of the man and his son. "I'll give $10 for the painting." Being a poor man, it was all he could afford.

The auctioneer said, "$10? Who will give me $20?"

The crowd was becoming angry. They didn't want the picture of the son. They wanted the more worthy investments for their collections. "Come on, sell him the painting. Let’s get on with the auction!" they cried.

Finally, the auctioneer said, "$10 going once, $10 twice, the son... sold for $10," and he struck his gavel. Then he laid the gavel down and he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I need to tell you this auction is now over."

The place broke out in pandemonium and they were shouting, "What do you mean the auction is over?"

"I was not allowed to reveal this stipulation until this time," the auctioneer explained. "Only the painting of the son would be auctioned. Whoever bought that painting would inherit the entire estate, including the paintings. The man who took the son gets everything!"

Think of the gardener's delight.

The Heavenly Father gave His son 2,000 years ago to die on the cross. Much like our story's father, God's desire is still: "My Son, My Son, who will know the worth My Son?"

Because, you see, whoever takes His Son really gets everything - what money cannot buy and what death cannot take away: a personal relationship with Jesus, complete forgiveness, eternal life beginning the moment we believe.


For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
(I John 5:12)

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (I Corinthians 2:9)

Have you accepted His Son?

No comments: