Monday, November 2, 2009

A Month of Thanksgiving

In a way, it's almost hard to believe that November is already here. There are many things that I like about this month, but one that is extra special to me is a day of thanksgiving. It's especially important to me because, even though we could and ought to pause to give thanks quite often throughout each day, just how often do we make the effort? (Too often the Holy Spirit convicts my own heart for not giving thanks nearly as much as I should.) Our thanksgiving should never cease, but it's something that can easily be neglected. It's also something I have been thinking on quite a bit....

The words "thanks" and "thank you" imply that there is someone to whom such sentiment is due. To whom are we thankful for the many things we could list? There is only One Who could and should receive credit for such things: the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, who by him and for him were all things made, and by whom all things consist (Isaiah 40:28, Colossians 1:16,17).

With all of the above in mind, this year I've decided that I'm not going to set aside just a single day. No, indeed! This year thanksgiving will be the focus of this whole month with the intent that, at the end of November, it will carry over into the months to come. So I'd like to dedicate this month with a little one-stanza song. Its sweet melody is one of complete reverence, yet so full of joy and peace that it causes me to reflect and give Him praise & thanks every time I hear it.

Thank You, Lord, for saving my soul!
Thank You, Lord, for making me whole.
Thank You, Lord, for giving to me
Thy great salvation, so rich and free!

We truly do have so much for which to be thankful. We may not always have everything we want, but He will supply everything we truly need. And what more could we ask for than an everlasting life with Him? Having that is worth more than the world!

May we all truly be thankful for the blessings He sends our way, and for the great salvation He has given to us through Jesus Christ. For the Christian, this is where thankfulness begins.

No comments: