Sunday, December 20, 2009

In My Heart, He's Lord of All

So much has touched my heart this Christmas season, and it's not nearly over yet. One, specifically, was a favorite hymn that has become all the more dear. This year, the words seem so much deeper. As I contemplate the words, the love of the Lord Jesus is very clear even though my mind could never fully comprehend the greatness of it, and my heart soars at the chorus.

I was rather surprised to see that it was from the mid-1800s. For some reason, I thought it might have been a little later, maybe much later. Although this hymn I am about to share is typically sung around Christmas, it could be sung any time of the year, and I just might request it on a "favorite hymns night" during a summer service.

Who Is He in Yonder Stall?
Benjamin R. Hanby
Who is He in yonder stall, At whose feet the shepherds fall?
Who is He in deep distress, Fasting in the wilderness?
'Tis the Lord! O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord! the King of glory!
At His feet we humbly fall;
Crown Him! crown Him, Lord of all!
Who is He the people bless For His words of gentleness?
Who is He to whom they bring All the sick and sorrowing?
'Tis the Lord! O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord! the King of glory!
At His feet we humbly fall;
Crown Him! crown Him, Lord of all!
Who is He that stands and weeps At the grave where Lazarus sleeps?
Who is He the gathering throng Greet with loud triumphant song?
'Tis the Lord! O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord! the King of glory!
At His feet we humbly fall;
Crown Him! crown Him, Lord of all!
Lo! at midnight, who is He Prays in dark Gethsemane?
Who is He on yonder tree Dies in grief and agony?
Who is He that from the grave Comes to succour, help, and save?
Who is He that from His throne Rules through all the world alone?
'Tis the Lord! O wondrous story!
'Tis the Lord! the King of glory!
At His feet we humbly fall;
Crown Him! crown Him, Lord of all!

I find myself thinking on how, during the time Jesus Christ was on earth, the people wanted Him for what He could do for their earthly state, but so many refused Him for their eternal state. And still today, people continue to refuse Him.

He's done so much for us. His compassion is a beautiful thing, something that ought to be cherished. Do we give Him the place in our heart He deserves? Do we crown Him and allow Him to rule our lives? I have been finding out that the more that I love Him, the more that room in my heart is made to love Him more. The more room is made to love Him, the more there is room on the throne of my heart to crown Him as my Lord of all - all that I am, all that I have, all that there is to come.

How about you? Is He your Lord as well?

No comments: